Stepping Beyond Reach: Doctors Without Borders

Club leaders Lilly du Toit and Amelia Tang promote Doctors Without Borders.

Diversity resides throughout Denmark High’s clubs and programs. However, the most predominant club categories revolve around the medical industry and community service. The medical field tends to be a hot topic especially with newer students.

“According to the IMF definition, there are 152 developing countries with a current population of around 6.69 billion. At 85.33 percent, this is a considerable proportion of the world’s population (https://www.worlddata.info/developing-countries.php).” These nations, located in South Asia, the Middle East, and western Africa, lack the proper medical guidance needed to support their civilians. Usually, third world countries seek medical attention from prosperous societies such as the United States and Japan. The U.S. in particular serves third world countries through an exceptional organization called Doctors Without Borders.

Denmark High has its own chapter of Doctors Without Borders. Founded by Amelia Tang and Lilly du Toit, this organization accommodates third world countries across the globe, along with providing hands-on medical experience to students. This club differs from many medical-oriented clubs across the Denmark campus, because, as Amelia Tang states: ”I just wanted something different from HOSA, because that’s more geared to competition, and this is very much volunteer based.” Doctors Without Borders truly envelopes its participants in the healthcare world. To them, it’s not about winning a medal or a trophy. “Also, we do so much good because it’s all towards the travel doctors like in Africa and in the Middle East.” Amelia added. To the members of Doctors Without Borders, healthcare is about the people of the world, and how their medical needs can be filled.

Denmark’s Doctors Without Borders co-partners with the organization MSF, Médecins Sans Frontières, to provide the perfect recreational shelter for those in third world nations. Doctors Without Borders accentuates humanitarian and medical assistance in environments such as Uganda and the streets of Pakistan. But how does this aid the students of Denmark?

Along with MSF, this club coincides with the University of Georgia. By partnering with this studious college, DWOB is enabled to provide its participants with guest speakers, volunteer options, knowledge of the medical field, shadowing opportunities, and CPR certifications. “I would recommend this because you get to participate in your community, you get to help out, you get to explore a specific pathway that you want to do, a specific field that you want to go into, or that you just might be interested in. Also it’s good for service hours.” Amelia stated. Although this is a fairly new club in the Denmark community, it will help the students enrich themselves with one another while helping aid poor countries around the world.