Recent Scores
  • Apr 18 / Girls LacrosseDenmark - 17, Lambert - 5
  • Apr 17 / Girls SoccerDenmark - 4, Duluth - 1
  • Apr 17 / Boys SoccerDenmark - 0, Discovery - 2
  • Feb 19 / Boys LacrosseDenmark - 16, Mountain View - 4
The Student News Site of Denmark High School

Denmark Unleashed

Revealing Stories, Inspiring Tomorrow

Denmark Unleashed

Denmark Unleashed

Denmark Boys Soccer Winds Down..?

Denmark soccer magnet on an athletes car supporting the team. (Katie Trinh)

Denmark boy’s soccer made their return in early February. Since then, they have secured four wins and fourth place in the region after defeating West Forsyth in a nail-biting overtime shootout. Following their recent 3-1 win against North Cobb, the Danes have only three games left in the regular season, including a vital game against South Forsyth. Winning that game is a must if the team wishes to rise through the region rankings to obtain a good standing before playoffs begin. 

Coach Bowman reflected on the season, recognizing that they’ve had some “ups and downs” as a team. They struggled to win some games that they shouldn’t have, but were still able to pull off some impressive wins throughout the season. They have given themselves an opportunity to do well in their last few games of the season, so they are buckling down on increasing the team’s game IQ and transitioning the ball from offense to defense, both of which are aspects of the game that haven’t been up to par throughout the season. By pinpointing their weaknesses, the Danes can greatly improve their chances of postseason wins.

The end of the regular season also serves as a tune-up before postseason games begin. These final games are a platform for the team to trial different strategies and tactics to fine-tune their approach, giving them a chance to “get everything right” for the postseason, as Coach Bowman said. The Danes will continue to perfect their tactics until the end of the season in the hope that they can extend their time together. 

“The work Coach Bowman has put into the boy’s soccer team throughout the season has been done with the goal of making it to the Championship, but the true value of the team’s effort has revealed itself in the bonds formed between the players and the lessons they have learned.”

Denmark boys soccer coach, Trevor, Bowman, coaching on the sideline of practice.
(Katie Trinh)

Senior Jack Larson agreed with his coach, conveying that he, along with the rest of the team, felt like they could have done better in the early parts of the season. Despite the team not getting the results they wanted, Larson feels like they grew as a team as the season progressed. Together, they made great memories, “supporting each other on and off the field.” Whether or not the Danes make an appearance at the State Championship, each and every player on the team gained valuable friendships and skills that make them better people off of the field. That is what high school sports are meant for, after all. For some, it is a stepping stone to the collegiate level, but for most, it is a way to make new friends and make memories.  

The work Coach Bowman has put into the boy’s soccer team throughout the season has been done with the goal of making it to the Championship, but the true value of the team’s effort has revealed itself in the bonds formed between the players and the lessons they have learned. As the season begins to wind down, they can surely hold their heads high. Every player has not only become a better athlete, but a better individual as a whole.