Recent Scores
  • Apr 18 / Girls LacrosseDenmark - 17, Lambert - 5
  • Apr 17 / Girls SoccerDenmark - 4, Duluth - 1
  • Apr 17 / Boys SoccerDenmark - 0, Discovery - 2
  • Feb 19 / Boys LacrosseDenmark - 16, Mountain View - 4
The Student News Site of Denmark High School

Denmark Unleashed

Revealing Stories, Inspiring Tomorrow

Denmark Unleashed

Denmark Unleashed

Danes Splash The Competition Out of The Water

A single second holds the power to determine your future in the sport of swimming. Fighting for spots at the top, only few making it to the upcoming GHSA state finals. Eight teams line up their strongest swimmers to lead their team towards victory during the all county meet. Our Denmark Danes shifted the pace and implemented hard sets throughout practices to prepare for the intense competition against the best of best coming ahead. Swimming isn’t the only vital part of this sport, but also diving. Diving is scored on the execution and perfection of a form of acrobatics. Although these events are seen as individual, that is far from the case. The supportive family-like environment that has been created closes that gap of individuality. Kelsea Furbish and Ryann Shumeyko are both Co-Head coaches taking on the authority of guiding the Danes to a successful season. The key for the coaches is pushing the swimmers to reach their potential and create an encouraging safeplace for all athletes. This promotes all swimmers to not be afraid to make mistakes, and not to concentrate on just loss in time, but improvement in technique throughout the season.

The Denmark Danes have been competing, coming out with two strong wins. A crucial win against Forsyth Central, points split between boys and girls, the Lady Danes securing a win with 182 points, while the boys wrapped up with 179 points. Sulli Dekreek, a junior, who specializes in freestyle and butterfly, puts Denmark at an advantage. Dekreek pulled the weight by racking up 33 points pushing Denmark up the ranks. Mindset is a large factor in the sport performed independently, “visualizing a win in a slow calm frame of mind” is one of the ways Dekreek composes before a race. She also emphasizes “the swim team community has become like a family to me, I cherish all relationships I’ve created throughout swimming.” Before she graduates, Dekreek is wanting to take charge and become a captain for the swim team. Through her aspirations, she creates a comfortable environment for everyone, “letting know that everyone can come to me for anything.” 

Paige Salus, a junior, is also another vital member of the Denmark swim team. Salus recently qualified for state, cutting close to time but expresses being able to swim along the best of GHSA “is a great experience”. Paige is another dominant source of points in the women’s division, although the max of one race is 20 points, she is able to collectively receive over 50 in one meet. With Salus bringing in high numbers, she sets the Danes to success in the pool. To gain success, Salus has a repeated routine before every race surrounded by superstition. Going through a strict regimen before each race trains the mind to be disciplined for the aggressive schedule created for swimmers.

In spite of the fact that recognition is focused on a single athlete, the Danes make sure to create a team like atmosphere. Picking each other up and supporting one another  

Swimming is a physically demanding sport, using the majority of your muscles during each swift movement. A short break from practice would create a major impact on your times, meaning the Danes have to keep a strict schedule throughout their season. Having morning and afternoon practices keeps each athlete’s condition ready for races, but also puts a physical toll on each person. Recovery is an important part of the sport, such as cupping and scraping the muscles to prevent tears and pulls. During important weeks, swimmers typically have undemanding practices before and after meets to rest the body. An overseen form of recovery is sleep, Salus emphasizes “8-10 hours is mandatory after meets to keep the body fresh.”

In spite of the fact that the light shines on one athlete promptly, the Danes swim team make sure to create a family-like atmosphere. Supporting teammates and picking each other up leads to team accomplishment. Without creating close relationships the swim program wouldn’t be where it is today, competing in state and county races.