Farewell, Class of 2022

Shani Key, Co Editor-In-Chief

Denmark High school’s inaugural class is four months closer to graduating. As another month passes by, we, the class of 2022, contemplate the many ways our lives will change. Two years have already been lost due to Covid, and now a lifetime of opportunities approaches. Although this newfound independence brings joy and excitement, many still fear the battles it may bring. Can we make it? Will we make it? What does the class of 2022 have to say?                                                                                                                                                                                                          

For Noelani Villeda, this year’s ending brings about satisfaction. “I think it’s cool that we have finally reached a finalization,” Villeda states, “We have achieved everything. I feel we should be proud of ourselves and all we have accomplished these past few years.” With the stress of college applications and final grades, many of us seniors have not taken the time to appreciate all we have accomplished. Being the first official graduating class, we have set many traditions and pathways for those who follow in our footsteps. Nonetheless, many still believe that as Denmark seniors, more traditions could have been set. Painted parking lots, spirit jeans, senior sunrise, and senior pranks are the things that build a culture in a school. Still, even without these small practices Denmark seniors have built a great amount and deserve to be proud of it.  

In relation, most seniors have already obtained their acceptance letters and confirmed their plans for after high school. With options like traveling or a gap year available, not all want to go to college. Dylan Phellps, senior, plans on attending technical school to be an electrician while Caleb Cook, senior, plans to pursue music. Even so, independence is a bit frightening. Leaving behind family and friends seems to be the most common fear, for there is a whole world out there ready to be explored. “I’m the most excited for independence but I’m scared to leave all of my friends behind and be alone,” states Emma Gomez, senior. The idea of leaving an entire life behind gets a lot of thinking about the life we have created here. “The most important thing that has happened this year so far, is learning that I can exist by myself and that it’s okay to act on what I want,” Gomez states, “This was influenced by the college process, everyone choosing where they want to go and who they want to be. Life comes the way that it does, and you just have to adjust.” 

In spite of the numerous changes this year brings, one big part of being a senior is enjoying its perks and specialities. Prom dresses are flying off the racks by the minute as students line up to get the most unique dress. Students rush out of school to beat 2pm traffic as all seniors leave early. We have graduation and senior picnic to look up to, not to mention the last summer of our teenage years. Having a senior trip is one of the most anticipated events of the year. Some, such as Dylan Phelleps, travel back to their home country while others, such as Emma Gomez and Caleb Cook, are traveling abroad with their closest friends. The best way to end an old chapter and begin a new one. 

The most important factor now is not only to look forward, but also to look back on what we’ve learned, how we’ve changed, and saying goodbye to a home that has been ours these past 4 years.