Recent Scores
  • Apr 18 / Girls LacrosseDenmark - 17, Lambert - 5
  • Apr 17 / Girls SoccerDenmark - 4, Duluth - 1
  • Apr 17 / Boys SoccerDenmark - 0, Discovery - 2
  • Feb 19 / Boys LacrosseDenmark - 16, Mountain View - 4
The Student News Site of Denmark High School

Denmark Unleashed

Revealing Stories, Inspiring Tomorrow

Denmark Unleashed

Denmark Unleashed

Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Shumeyko

Ms. Shumeyko is shown teaching her 4th period class.
(Miranda Meano)

Teachers have been shaping lives for centuries, and we have all had our fair share of good and bad ones. Teachers have the opportunity to make a profound impact on students, whether it be sarcastic comments hurting their self esteem or a simple good morning improving their mood. Today, we are focusing on one very special teacher and the outstanding impact she has on her students. Ms. Shumeyko is a 10th grade English teacher who recently joined the Denmark family, but has already made a huge difference to her students. Turner Elya, an 11th grade student who was in Ms. Shumeyko’s class last year remembers that she “helped me through little and big things” that took place throughout her school year. “ She’s made me feel comforted at school and she’s a teacher I can talk to about anything”. Having an adult you trust and look up to can play a huge part in the way students perform and navigate their school experience. Mrs Shumeyko has made it her goal to “ make anyone who walks in my classroom feel loved to feel encouraged” as well as “seen and welcomed”. A warm and inviting classroom as well as a friendly attitude with students make a great teacher and relationships

A smiling photo of Ms. Shumeyko, which is always there when she passionately teaches her classes. (Miranda Meano)

that last. She has decorated her classroom in a way that resembles many of the students’ own rooms at home, with colorful lights and inspirational posters. By creating a cozy and inviting environment, students feel more comfortable and able to concentrate. Ms. Shumeyko expresses that she’s “ never had one day where I was sad to come to school”. She is working to change misconceptions about learning and make it something kids can look forward t0o. Elya explained that a good teacher is “ understanding, respectful, and always has a positive attitude”. Ms. Shumeyko exhibits all these qualities and more, and has truly changed learning and school days in general by creating positive and friendly relationships. She is an amazing example of what teachers should aspire to be, and how students should treat others inside and outside of the classroom.

1
View Comments (1)