Representation Revealed in Art

Representation Revealed in Art

What might seem like a straightforward map mural at the front of the school is much more. Painted with an array of blues and decorated with colorful friendship bracelets, hanging proudly on the entrance walls of Denmark High School, these bracelets hold ties connecting countries on the map like the friends who wear them, representing the tight bonds of DHS students. The map sits there day and night awaiting admirers. Onlookers notice it but continue their brisk walk, leaving the map to its lonesome. What is its real purpose? The mural was created by the members of the National Art Honors Society (NAHS) and Denmark’s two art teachers, after they wanted to find a visual way to represent diversity in the student group.

The artwork stands proudly as a reminder to students who feel like they are isolated that they are not alone. With a humongous student group, there is uniqueness plentiful, culturally and socially. Students may feel displaced and overwhelmed with the experience of adjusting to a new place. Ms. Jumper, an art teacher and NAHS sponsor, who contributed to the map, gives voice to her hopes, “When students walk through the front doors and see that map, they can see it as a visual reminder that they’re not alone in their experience, and there are other students who might have gone through similar experiences. They might even see there are some students with the same birth country or culture.”

NAHS goal is to keep the map updated, as there are new students coming in and out of Denmark, and the map should be updated along with them. There is hope to make an impact on students who get to put creativity into it, to inspire and recognize new students. Ms. Wood, who also played a major part in creating the map, expresses, “The map is about creating a cultural connectivity, with a lot of cultural holidays coming up it made a realization that there are a lot of cultures and the map is a visual way through art to show them.” The aim is to show how there might be cultural boundaries, but the connection in Denmark is strong, a home for all students. Through friendships and common communities this school continues to create a united front for its students, regardless of where they come from.