Unhealthy v. Healthy Foods

Anish Sambrani, Staff Reporter

Unhealthy foods are those that are low in nutritional value and high in fat, sugar, and calories. There are many unhealthy foods that we all consume in are daily lives. These can include desserts, cold drinks, and sugary foods. If a food item does not help you maintain a healthy weight, it is detrimental. High levels of tropical oils and salt, for example, as well as a lack of fiber, vitamins, and toxic fats, are all unhealthy meals. The worst of foods and drinks are sometimes found processed, frozen, and consist of huge amounts of sugar

Processed foods, such as snacks and fast food, are popular in unhealthy diets because they are missing in critical nutrients that our bodies need to function properly. Raw foods encounter many changes to achieve optimal product, such as canning, freezing, dehydrating, packing, This is a reason why some foods are stable/durable, delicious, and attractive-looking. To improve the flavor and texture of food items, additional additives are sometimes added to enhance the flavors. There are other types of processed foods that can contain high volumes of vitamins and proteins when produced naturally.

Much of the food served at school is considered processed such as the chicken poppers or tenders. This is a direct result of the fact that many students need to be served and the food is also free. The food as resulted a 100 rating from the health inspectors which shows how good the food is. Even though the food is processed they are a much better choice then eating from the vending machines. Fruits and vegetables are also offered on the side. Most of them are frozen. A sophomore at Denmark, says that the food is a really good option since he doesn’t get it from home. On the occasion that he does not get food he gets a bag of chips to compensate. 

Most people are fairly busy in their lives and have to resort to things like frozen food. According to the CDC, processed and prepared foods like frozen dinners account for more than 70% of our salt intake. Too much salt in your diet can raise your blood pressure, putting you at risk for stroke and/or heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, some frozen meals, particularly frozen pizza and other pies, contain hazardous partially hydrogenated oil, which might put your heart in grave danger. MSG, which has the potential to cause damage to people who are sensitive to it is another example of an chemical that frozen food companies put in their quick to make meals. According to certain studies, the addition has the potential to cause headaches.

Foods aren’t the only thing that’s bad for your body. Both Cold Drinks and Sports Drinks are not good for your body either. While cold drinks sound refreshing they contain too much sugar. The average recommended amount is around 24 grams of sugar. A 21oz bottle has about 45 grams sugar which is nearly double the recommended amount per day. Sports drinks are not as healthy as they may sound. For many people the only true reason they consume this is for the sugar. Health experts suggest the main reason as to this is because many sports drinks do not have any salts or enough electrolytes. 

There are many types of health foods that people can look too. Healthy foods can offer you nutrients you need to maintain your body’s health and energy levels. The major components that make up a healthy, balanced diet include water, carbs, fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Looking at the serving size is one of the most important aspects of reading food labels; 160 calories may not seem like much, but that may be for only two small cookies. Continue reading to learn about other things to consider while shopping for healthy meals.

Saturated and Trans fats are two kinds of fats that have been recognized as possibly hazardous to your health. The majority of foods containing these fats are solid at room temperature. Saturated fats are mostly the type of fat you will find from meat such as chicken and fish. Trans fats are also in things like frozen foods. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are considered healthier fats by doctors. These are healthier fats to include in your diet.

When foods predominantly made up of these healthy fats are brought to room temperature, they tend to be liquid. Vegetable oil is a great example of healthy fats. Another one is avocados. These fats have been shown to reduce heart diseases. Many professional athletes eat such foots with high healthy fats to maintain a fit body. 

It is unfortunate that most healthy foods don’t taste as a good or is as appealing as one might things. However, eating such foods is worth it especially if you play a sport or do any gym workouts. It is important to always know what ingredients are in your food so that you know whether or not to consume them. In the U.S obesity has risen to nearly 43% and this can lead to health problems such as heart or lung disease. Eating healthy is the way to go, but remember, it is okay to have a yummy treat once in a while.