Finding Freshman Jobs

What jobs can a 14-15 year old do?

The first year of high school brings many new things to a student. More freedom, a new work system, and most importantly, the opportunity to make a payday. Even though there is much excitement over the possibility of making money, many students don’t know where to start or how to go through the hiring process.

With the current restrictions placed by the Georgia Department of Labor on minors, work might be a little hard to find. Many companies prefer to hire those who have a larger, more flexible work schedule.

Federal jobs only allow 3 hours during a school day and won’t allow 14-15-year-olds to work before 7:00 AM and after 7:00 PM.

Another necessity is acquiring a permit. Minors 14-15 must have a valid work permit to make sure no child labor laws are violated. You can apply for one here.

Where Can I Get Hired?

Most fast-food joints hire both 14 and 15 year-olds. However, it depends on a state’s child labor laws. All restaurant chains that hire in GA are below*:

*Many independently owned restaurant chains will accept 14-15. Always double check if they do accept before you apply as different locations have different rules.

Alternative Jobs

Instead of working in larger companies, you can always open up a small business. Beauty products, accessories, creative art, and other unique items can be sold on Etsy or you can sell old clothing on DePop. Researching on how to open up a small business online as a teen is a great starting point. However, it’s important to thoroughly understand all expenses and limitations of certain apps and modes of business. Other job opportunities include babysitting, dog sitting, tutoring, taking care of the lawn. 

With so many options, the key is finding what works best for you. No matter the choice, working at a young age can bring great opportunities to make money and learn necessary lessons that will help with choices in the future.